Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Rock Of Ages

I feel like such an ingrate for saying this, and I would NEVER EVER post this on a fan board (I'd get flammed to death or moderated out for sure!), but I am not happy with the things that are happening with my boys in Def Leppard. I think the fans are getting screwed with this Best Of/Rock Of Ages CD deal (which, to be fair, is probably NOT their fault), and they're touring with BRYAN ADAMS?! Holy shit.

I understand that they want to evolve and make music that will sell TODAY, but it seems like they're giving up and allowing themselves to be packaged as a nostalgia act.... with the hits CDs and this "career retrospective" tour. Maybe that's why Viv and Phil are releasing side project albums, because they want to do new stuff? The snippets I've heard from Man-Raze are TOUGH (check out www.Man-Raze.com)!!! That's the kind of NEW stuff Lepp could be doing. I mean, I didn't LOVE X, but at least it was all new material!!! Also, for the record, I really like the idea of a covers album (it's interesting for the fans, and I like the songs they've covered), but not when it's meant to take the place of NEW stuff.

Here's my problem with the Bryan Adams thing... maybe (?) I'm just a spoiled brat fan, but I don't want to share them with Bryan Adams fans on tour when they're there to see HIM, I don't want to compete with them for seats at the shows (it's GENERAL ADMISSION!) and I just plain don't want to sit through Adams' show. Unfortunately, if I want to see Tha Lepps this summer, I'll HAVE TO... he's going first at the Ohio shows!

My second gripe is about the idea of two different greatest hits CDs. Someone in the biz knows that there are those of us who WILL buy two different CDs if they put two different "bonus" songs on them.... case in point, "Waterloo Sunset" on the UK Best Of CD, and "No Matter What" on the US Rock Of Ages CD. It seems like SOMEONE just wants our money. C'mon! I think it's really unfair that we should have to go through the bullshit of special-ordering UK stuff AND blowing all that money! SOMEBODY give us a break.

I am sensing desperation from the Lepp camp, perhaps surrender to what they used to be? I don't know. I know that I am a loyal fan, and I WILL continue to buy everything that comes out and I WILL see them on tour this summer. And I don't care if the newer albums have paled in comparison to Pyro or Hysteria, I KNOW that these are the most talented guys on the face of the planet and they can continue to kick ass for years to come, albeit on a less global scale, IF THEY WANT TO.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home